Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mmm... Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup

I had to make it myself. I found a couple of recipes online and studied them for a bit and then came up with a mix/mash up of them. It certainly isn't the healthiest soup, but it's so good that it doesn't matter.

servings: 4 hearty helpings
easy peasy

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of cooked chicken (cubed or shredded) add fajita seasoning for extra flavor
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup fajita veggies (red & green bell peppers & onions)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/3-1 cup salsa (depends on how much heat you want)
  • 6-8 oz velveeta (shh. just use it.) cubed
  • 1 cup milk
  • fritos
How I cooked my chicken: 
I took 2 chicken breasts and boiled them in  chicken broth and water (totaling about 3 cups of liquid) I seasoned the broth with salt (we had low sodium broth), pepper and a little tony chachere's creole seasoning (not taco or fajita seasoning, I know! thinking outside the box). When the chicken was done cooking I removed it from the pot and let it rest while I poured the broth into a measuring cup.

Shred or cube up the chicken. Set it aside and gather your remaining ingredients and measure them out.

Now, take a large pot and over medium heat add the butter and fajita veggies. Saute for 2 minutes.

Add the flour and whisk it in til it's smooth. (this will be thick)

To this add the 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth and stir together until smooth. Let this simmer for 2 minutes.

Add the cheese and salsa and let it melt and become smooth (a-gain) for about 2 minutes more

Now turn your heat down and add the milk and chicken. Let this combine and warm, but not boil.

Serve with fritos on top. (I think sour cream and some fresh green onions or cilantro would be good, too)
 
next time I might add a finely chopped jalapeno for more kick
 

I loved it. It was pretty close to my favorite from a sandwich shop (theirs had more spice, but I had children to think of). T said it was amazing and had seconds and even Rose ate most of hers. I'll definitely be making it again (probably experiment with some other add ins, too). Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds good! Love your Velveeta comment, I use it in homemade mac-n-cheese...shh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, lady. I will have to add this to my recipe list.

    ReplyDelete