Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Stop


I was on my way to the grocery store last night when I came up to the STOP sign at the end of our road. I was about to enter a busy highway and it made me think about how I wish I could make time stop. Or at least slow down. But what really came to mind was that I needed to stop.

I have made a little promise to myself to stop the endless chores that always get in the way of me really engaging and interacting with the kids. Sure, I read them books, color, take them outside, but I usually have something to do other than sit down and really play with them for more than a few minutes. I don't have to be so busy all the time. Dishes can wait, laundry can be thrown in the washer and dryer with minimal interruption to spending quality time with my kids. It really bothers me that I've let cleaning (which I'm not that great at anyway) become more important than playing trains and having a pretend cup of tea.

Priority rearrangement. It's happening. Because they are just as important today as they were the day they were born and deserve the same undivided attention I gave them then. Everything else is (as our friend Matt would say) small potatoes.


I'm linking up with My 3 Little Birds today and sharing a MOMent.

5 comments:

  1. The hardest part is coming to that realization. It's pretty easy to do after you decide to make the change. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great reminder!! It is true about them needing you just as much as when they were babies...no wonder my house was such a mess then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Right on. I have the same thoughts all the time. Cleaning is SO unimportant...why do we make it so much more than our children so many times?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good for you! I struggle with this every day. It has taken me almost 3 years of being home full time to realize that I'm not doing anyone any favors by rushing through my days doing chore after chore. The kids will remember you getting on the floor and playing with them a lot more than they'll remember that the kitchen was always clean. Thanks for sharing your MOMent : ) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NEED to remember this. I have to do it too...

    ReplyDelete