*make a pie crust*
1. Peel, core and slice 3-4 medium Granny Smith apples. I sliced them up into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a large bowl.
2. Combine the following in a medium bowl
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
4. Add the sugar mixture to the apples and stir to coat evenly
5. Assemble Crumb Topping:
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter- melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
(you could also have your apprentice do this for you)
6. Roll out your crust and pour in apples
7. Dot with (more) butter
8. Sprinkle crumb topping over apples.
9. Throw it in the oven (okay, I put mine on a baking sheet and gently placed it in the oven) for 45-50ish minutes. By the way, your oven should be preheated to 400 and then immediately turned down to 375 after the pie is in the oven. Don't ask me why, I just did what I was instructed.
10. Find some vanilla ice cream while your pie is cooling... and then I think you can figure out how to eat the thing.
I'm pretty sure making this pie helped the Rangers win game 2 last night. And I shared it... obviously (and begrudgingly) with Beard-O and the kids, but I also sent a 1/4 of it with my brother-in-law to share with my sister. (I haven't heard from her, but he said it was really good... and would like some more.)