Wednesday, February 29, 2012

meal planning

Grocery shopping day is almost here and I've been busy searching store ads and coupon sites for deals. I also made a menu for the coming week, which is probably something most of you do. I should be more organized and sometimes I am, but often I end up picking three meals and then winging it for the rest of the week. I've come up with a good menu and am going to try to stick with it this time!

Here's what I have planned:
Thursday- attending class at church with provided meal (yeah!)
Friday- Fish with pasta and veggies
Saturday- chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and green beans
Sunday- Pizza
Monday- Asian glazed drumsticks (I plan on using chicken thighs), rice and broccoli coleslaw
Tuesday- Lasanga, garlic bread and steamed broccoli
Wednesday- depends on t-ball practice, probably crab cakes and homemade fries
Thursday- cheese enchiladas, beans, Mexican rice

I didn't write out lunch or breakfast because those are somewhat easier to plan. The better I plan the fewer times I have to ask T to pick something up on his way home from work, although there is almost always the milk and yogurt stop on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Do you meal plan a week or month in advance? We have been eating less beef and I made a lot of chicken dishes last week and got tired of it faster than I thought. I try to keep a variety of pasta on hand for night where I need a quick meal of spaghetti or the like. Tortillas, cheese and frozen veggies for quesadillas or omelets or usually stocked up as well.

I'd love it if you would share a meal that is easy to make or keep the items on hand for. I almost always reach for pasta of some sort when I am running out of time or energy in the evenings. Share away!

2 comments:

  1. I also plan my meals ahead- but check out my post called 5 get fast fat tips- there is a dinner on there called santa fe chicken that is my "go to" meal...its easy, yummy and on the cheap and its easy enough to make sure I always have the stuff (rice, chicken, cheese, can of rotel, onion) on hand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast for dinner is my go to. Waffles, pancakes, homemade muffins with eggs, that sort of deal. It's easy to throw together when I'm running behind and super busy and/or tired.

    ReplyDelete