Wednesday, April 20, 2011

An Unspoken Bond

I'm going to show you a picture of my favorite chicken. If you have only seen chickens from picture books or from far away this is not the same. This is going to explain why middle child is scared of chickens. They just look plain creepy. Chickens have beady looking eyes, weird prehistoric looking feet, pointy beaks that they occasionally peck you with and when they get excited they fly up all around you and freak you out. OK, so they freak me out when they start flying around, not necessarily anyone else. But, I understand why Ry gets freaked out by them and says they are going to "get him" when they get within a 5 foot radius of him. This chicken is our only White Leghorn we have. She has been with us for two years now? I think. Anyhow, she survived the hawks and chicken snakes for two years and lays the biggest eggs of all. I give a lot of eggs away, but never hers. I hide them away to bake with. She is never been broody, never fought for food, always a happy little girl.
Here's the thing though, she's getting old. Her eggs are becoming a rarity and the shells are quite thin. It makes me a little sad to think about her going into retirement. I think I will just put her in my garden when she stops laying eggs. She can live out the rest of her days in peace eating grasshoppers for me. I have tried not to get attached to any animals, but when it comes down to it, she's really my favorite. I'm always happy to see her when I go to water and feed the chickens.
 
Isn't she just a darlin'? 

It's a face only a mother could love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment