Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grow Me a Green Thumb

This weekend is going to be a must for gathering my veggies and seeds and any extra dirt I need. Honestly, if I don't start now I will most likely never get it done. The Lowe's in town is having Burpee and Ferry Morse seeds packets BOGO and veggie four packs at $1.79. That's a really good deal for me... so I'm going for it.

I have been envisioning my backyard and front flower beds today and I really hope to score some awesome deals on some perennials. I have in mind (and definitely subject to change) : Texas Sage/Purple Sage, Echinacea, Salvia, Purple Hearts and  Blue Plumbago. I just realized that all of those plants are either purple or light blue, however, I am also hoping to plant some Blanket Flowers and Sun Flowers. My zinnias are already coming up so I should have a good range of color. On a whim I bought a Starry Night Viola while in town Monday. It's pretty and supposedly a perennial, but I haven't looked it up. I probably need to so I know how and where to plant it. Coincidentally it has purple blooms with a white heart. What is my deal with purple?

I don't want to go overboard this year. If I start small and have a successful year then next year I can add to it. If I end up killing everything then I guess I'm doomed, and I will have to stare at Bermuda grass and a single "knock-out" rose bush for the rest of my life. I have, in vain, researched native plants, "hard-to-kill" plants, drought tolerant plants, plants everyone can grow... Please don't let me be the one to kill the "hard-to-kill" plants. That would be too devastating.

The Green Thumb is not to be taken for granted people,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment