Wednesday, September 5, 2012

food all the time


I'm so glad blogger is letting me post a picture! It's about time. This is from Sunday when the boys were out dove hunting. (They were really just observers.) Also, this picture has nothing to do with this post.

I really want to make some pumpkin bread, but since the mercury is still stuck in the triple digits I am waiting ever so patiently until Saturday when the high is only supposed to be 92. That's practically sweater weather! Juuuussst kidding.

Speaking of food, I made this Honey (Bourbon) Chicken on Monday and I am becoming slightly obsessed with when I will make it again. I want it right now, but I'm making stew tonight and I don't have enough honey or any chicken, so I can't make it now anyhow. What would I do different with this recipe? Make more. You could probably use close to 2 pounds of chicken (I used 1.5) since I ended up with lots of sauce (I poured it over some green beans at lunch the next day). I didn't sprinkle any sesame seeds on it and I didn't add any red pepper flakes since the kids were eating. When I first read the recipe I almost discarded it because it called for a whole cup of honey! Have you bought honey lately? It's not cheap. Anyhow I almost didn't use a whole cup, but I tasted the glaze before I added it to the crock pot and ended up making it a cup. So, just follow the recipe. (I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch to thicken the sauce.) And... no, there's no bourbon in the recipe, but I read through a lot of comments from that post and someone said it originated on Bourbon Street in Louisiana. I'm sure if you really wanted to make it with bourbon you could have a few sips while you were waiting for it to cook in the crock pot. I'm giving this recipe a million stars.

That's all for now. I need to find a snack so I can replenish my energy and finish making supper. Basically, I just said I have to eat so I can make something to eat. Stop judging, I'm pregnant- best excuse ever!

3 comments:

  1. I've been a bigger slacker than usual, (we can use "bigger" both literally and figuratively--how fun), please excuse me, lady.

    This recipe sounds good. I read in Reader's Digest (old people mag, so it's gotta be true) that honey is one of the few ingredients you shouldn't buy cheap. As you noted, that's not even possible. They even snarked about plastic bear honey containers, which is a hallmark of Shauna cuisine! < Note: that's an indignant exclamation point. Kinda. We shall have to try this recipe at our house with some crappy plastic bear honey. I'll let you know how it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm...I might have to make some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine Glass-SteelSeptember 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

    Looks good! Laughed out loud when I misread it as crackpot chicken instead of crockpot though. Was starting to wonder what the world was coming to.

    ReplyDelete