Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Beef Stir Fry

It is yummy. I decided a few weeks ago to forgo the frozen bagged Chinese food and make it myself. It only feeds 2 people (or one really hungry person) and they can be expensive. So instead of a pre-made frozen meal I grabbed a jar of stir fry sauce and some frozen stir fry veggies. I had sirloin at home already so that was all I needed. Here's what I did: Since the sirloin was frozen I thawed it until I could slice it thinly, then added 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and corn starch and let it marinate until it was fully thawed. To cook it: Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok or large non stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add the meat and allow it to brown and cook almost through. Once the meat is browned remove it from skillet and throw in whatever vegetables you have (I had broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts). Cover skillet and let the veggies soften to your liking. When the veggies are ready add in the meat and sauce, cover for 5 minutes. I know it's not totally "home-made", but until I find a good recipe for stir fry sauce this is how it's done in my kitchen. T and I usually devour one of those frozen meals and are still starving and my version fed us well and I even had leftovers. Leftovers in this house are VERY rare. Then we had a piece of cake I made this afternoon because all my lovely children took naps at the same time. I had a brief moment of me time...I ate some Chocolate Covered Strawberries ice cream that T brought home last night. It was Blue Bell and amazing.
The kids are in bed and I am in need of a shower so I can watch Parenthood and eat some more ice cream. Hope I inspired someone to try something new today!
Liking Me Some Ice Cream,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment